Wednesday, April 14, 2010

BEACHCOMBER ISLAND APRIL 15, 2010


Today I finally gave up waiting for my refrigerator repair man and got out of Vuda Marina.


I sailed to nearby Beachcomber Island Resort. It is a backpacker place and is very yacht friendly.


The island is very small. "How small is it?" Well, I walked around the island in 35 minutes. I walk very slow in the tropical heat.


I had an EXTREMELY close call with a very hungry reef. I had been directed to moor on a particular ball and was assured that the water was deep enough for my 9' keel. WRONG!!!!!!


I was easing into the area when I noticed my depth finder was showing dangerously shallowing water. I looked over the side and could see that I was in no more than 12 feet of water. I put the engine into reverse and narrowly escaped striking the reef. Caution prevailed.


Attached is a photo of Treasure Island, quite near Beachcomber Island.


Fiji has lots and lots and lots of very hungry reefs.

No comments: