Thursday, August 5, 2010

SAFE ARRIVAL IN VANUATU

I safely arrived at Port Vila, Vanuatu 48 hours ago.

The crossing was VERY ROUGH and this is the first I've been able to use the internet with a fully functioning brain! I was dead-dog tired but I've gotten some good rest and have started to move around again.

Torrid was battered by a 3 day storm and I managed to destroy my jib! I'll need to buy a new one.

The old jib was truly worn out, so after I left Savusavu I pulled into Makogai Island and gave the sail to the village. They could use the remaining good canvas to cover their roofs or use it as a sitting mat for their Kava drinking ceremonies.

A young Fijian helped me put up my old jib that I had used on my trip from Hawaii to Fiji. You may recall that that jib had been damaged before arriving in Fiji and repaired in Savusavu.

I hit a 3 day storm and my jib wound up completely shredded. All that remains is a piece about the size of a large slice of pizza! I used mu main sail for the rest of the trip.

My automatic pilot "Otto" did a very good job.

Port Vila is beautiful and has many more facilities than Fiji. The food has been just absolutely wonderful. The prices are a little higher than Fiji, but from what I've seen, so far, WELL worth it!

Torrid is battered but not broken. I'm starting the "easy" repairs and will work my way up to the more difficult ones as time and my stamina allow.

If you've EVER dreamed of sailing around the World, we have to talk. If you've dreamed of doing it solo, we REALLY HAVE TO TALK.

No comments: