Friday, May 25, 2007

5/25/07 Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii- Update

Yesterday I sailed to Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii.
Lahaina has a very special place in my heart as this was where I first learned to sail. I was 18, a high school graduate, had a summer before college ahead of me and landed the worst-paying, best-loved job I ever had. I was "First Mate" on the Yacht "Allure". Translation: For $60.00 a week I only had to do everything to keep a 45' wooden schooner shipshape for the tourist trade. I also got to clean up after the drunken tourists, laugh at their jokes and generally have as little as possible to do with them. I wanted to sail, and sail I did.
Captain Louis B. Abrams taught me well. Thank you Cap'n Abrams.
Lahaina is a very historic location in Hawaii. It is best known as a replenish and rest stop for the North Pacific whaling ships. The whalers brought numerous diseases which the Hawaiian population had no immunity.
Lahaina was a wild and wolly place when the whalers were ashore.
Lahaina used to be the Capital of Hawaii.
Today, sadly, Lahaina is mostly a tourist trap. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong. (Thanks Dennis Miller) Lahaina still has a lot of charm. Stay at The Pioneer Inn. It is right on the pier front. The hotel is old Hawaiian plantation style and has a lot of history. Lahaina's other charms have to be actively looked for past all the tourist shops.

No comments: