Tuesday, September 8, 2009

THE FIJIAN HANDSHAKE

I'd like to share an observation I made very early on in my visit to Fiji but neglected to share it in my Blog. It is the unique Fijian handshake.
Right hands are extended and the four fingers, minus the thumb, are grasped at the first and second knuckle. There is no shaking of hands, rather they are pulled quickly apart often resulting in a slight snapping sound.
Another observation which I have come to take for granted: The Fijian and Indian schoolchildren are very well behaved on the public bus. They do not push, shove or chatter in any kind of loud or abrasive manner. They do not swear or try to impress one another by the use of the dreaded "F" word. In fact, I have not heard that annoying word ever from a Fijian or Indian. It's not very common amongst us "Yachties", but the word "Bloody", which is supposed to be a pretty vile word in the Australian/New Zealand/English community, is used to frequently create emphasis in conversations.
I plan to view tonight's sunset and perhaps get a photo of TORRID back in the water.

No comments: