Sunday, July 26, 2009

MALOLO ISLAND RESORT AND CAT'S EYE


Finally I've gotten off my lazy butt, had a good weather day and moved Torrid to a new location.

I sailed to Malolo Island. Remember, Musket Cove is located on Malololailai island. Malolo and Malololailai islands are connected via a narrow drying reef.

The resort on this island features over-the-water bures (hotel rooms) which can be found on practically any pretty beach in Tahiti---at triple the price I'm sure. I plan to go ashore in the morning and see how "Yachtie friendly" the place is. I'm also anxious to find out how much the rooms cost.

I did a little snorkeling and found it to be pretty good---not great---but pretty good. The 'shelling' was the best I've seen in Fiji. 'Shelling' is collecting seashells. No, I don't keep live specimens. I DO keep dead seashells if they are in good shape. Today I found a live 'Spider Conch'. I will now buy one in a tourist shop and be able to say that I found this type of shell in Fiji. They are not rare per se, but they have been pretty scarce as far as I have seen.

I found two dead "Giant" clams. These were both infants when they died. The shells should clean up nicely with a little bleach and scrubbing with a wire brush.

I also found a "Cat's Eye". This is the operculum of a sea shell. It is basically the 'front door' to a certain species of sea shell. What makes this find interesting is that it instantly reminded me of my mother. When we were living on Guam she obtained these 'cat's eye's which had been converted into earrings. For some reason these 'cat's eyes' fascinated my 5 year old mind. Since the item was no longer in use by the shell which had owned it, it became part of my collection.

The picture shows the 'cat's eye' up close using the macro lens. The item is less than the size of a US dime.

Sunset might be quite interesting as some of the outer islands will be in the foreground. I know you may be getting tired of sunsets but after all, whose BLOG is it anyway?

No comments: