Monday, November 2, 2009

AUSTRALIA RECAP


My visit to Sydney was disappointing.

Sydney seems to be a quietly unhappy city. Although interesting in its multi-racial, multi-ethnic makeup, nevertheless I observed that the various races and cultures tolerate as opposed to accept and embrace one another. The Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, Pacific Islander and all other groups seem to bond strongly to their own members to the exclusion of all others.

The "native" Australians, that is to say the descendants of the first English settlers, maintain their unique language, behavior and attitudes which seem to tolerate, if not ignore, the presence of new settlers to Australia from the far corners of the Commonwealth of Nations (formerly known as the British Empire).

Australia is still at a loss as to how they shall deal with the "Aboriginals". The "Aboriginals" are still at a loss as to how to deal with the powers which took over their country.

As an American, I cannot help but notice the similarities of these difficulties, and atrocious treatment history, as we "Americans" have had with our "Native Americans".

In sum, I found Sydney to be expensive, indifferent and, sadly, intolerant .

Whilst strolling near my over-priced hotel/motel in Sydney I came across an automobile parts dealership. The significance of my observation is in the picture I took of their outdoor sign. I dare say the sign would not last very long in America!

No comments: