Monday, September 20, 2010

BEACH GLASS

Yesterday Dianne and I went out for a day sail. Torrid and Di checked out beautifully. My repairman failed to show up the other day to install my auto pilot. Hopefully he will arrive early tomorrow to complete the job. Getting things done in the South Pacific requires patience, lots of patience.

Today we went back to the beach where the USS Calvin Coolidge was run aground after striking a "friendly" mine. Unfortunately, or fortunately, it later slipped off the reef and sank in relatively shallow water. Dianne and I snorkled out to the bouy that marked the bow. The water was too murky to see anything. Darn !

The beach is LOADED with beach glass presumably from the Coolidge. I had to stop collecting glass after 30 minutes as my back pack was getting too heavy. The glass was white, aqua, blue, green and brown. It was all well worn and beautiful. I have a "plan" to incorporate it into a coffee table when and if I become a landlubber again.

I barely scratched the surface of the available beach glass. Nobody else seems to bother! Sadly, I also saw bits and pieces of plates and cups which no doubt came from the Coolidge.

As a tribute to the Captain, he was able to save all of the personnel aboard the ship except two who were killed when the ship struck the mine. Sometimes running your boat aground is a mark of good seamanship!

No comments: