Monday, September 27, 2010

LEAVING ESPIRITU SANTO

Today I am preparing to leave Espiritu Santo Island and sail to Pentecost, Ambrym and Epi Isalnds before sailing back to Port Vila.

I have had a wonderful time with Dianne on Santo. She is joining me on the trip back to Vila. I hope she enjoys the trip as much as I do.

Santo is an odd mixture of very, very old and up to date modern. It is common to see ni-Vans (natives of Vanuatu) who live practically the same stone age lifestyle as their recent ancestors yet industriously chatting on their cell phones or laptop computers.

Today I'll get my autopilot back and ship it off to the manufacturer in the States. I'm a bit upset that I have lost two weeks by allowing a local to try and fix it. Oh, well, welcome to the South Pacific!

Hopefully I can add pictures to my blog once I get back to Port Vila. In the meantime I'll have to do a Santo-Vila log. I hope to take lots of pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been enjoying your blog...following your dream to sail around the world. I hope you made it. It is good to know there are others who enjoy sunsets, don't take a moment for granted, and find happiness in strangers. Happy sailing, Capt' Mal!