Monday, June 29, 2009

FOLLOW YOUR DREAM

It has occured to me that I left Hawaii to follow my dream a scant two months ago. The first month was spent sailing to Fiji and a good part of the second month has been spent making repairs. My point, however, is; My dream is coming true.
Ever since I learned to sail at age 18 and after crewing on a schooner for the summer after high school and after crewing on another schooner from Hawaii to San Pedro, California that same summer, it has been my deep and abiding dream to 'ONE DAY' own my own sailboat and sail around the World.
I know I have bored a tremendous number of people by discussing this dream. I know more than a couple of romantic relationships which have suffered and/or ended because of my continued desire to fulfill my dream. To those of you who were kind enough to listen to my tall tales---my apologies for boring you. For those of you who were kind and/or smart enough to break up our romantic relationship thus allowing me to pursue my dream unfettered with notions of guilt or abandonment---Thank you-----very much.
Pursuing this goal has caused stress and upheaval in my life. Presumably it has caused upset feelings in others including family, lovers and close friends. But my point is this: This is MY dream and I intend to make it come true. I must live my life for myself. I cannot and will not live the remainder of my life trying to please others. I have discharged my familial obligations as best I could. I had custody of and raised three children with the marvelous help of my second wife.
I faithfully discharged my duties to my clients for 34 years.
With my dream I may try and fail but I'll be damned if I'll fail to try.
Ask yourself: What is my dream?
Ask yourself: What am I doing to make that dream come true.
Don't fail to try. Be true to yourself, follow your dream.
At sea- on the way to Suva, Fiji. 30 June 2009.
Cap'n Mal (de Mer)

No comments: