Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Remembering Taveuni

I had so looked forward to visiting Taveuni. It seemed, as I had read, an idyllic island paradise.
Taveuni is many things; beautiful, exotic, remote, quiet, serene and charming. It is perhaps paradise to some. It is undoubtedly beautiful to all, but it was not all that I had been led to believe and, sadly, to expect.
Do not misunderstand me. Come to Taveuni, enjoy its charms and relish in the joy of life those lucky enough to live here seem to have. Enjoy the natural beauty. The Government of Fiji was very wise to make most of the East Coast of Taveuni a National Park or preserve. It is stunning and primitive. Often while walking to the waterfall yesterday I thought that this is what our ancient earth must have looked like before the Rise of Man.
Perhaps as we search out our own "Heaven on Earth" we need to be more open minded as to what we see, hear and do and not rely so much on the opinions of others. They have made their own observations through different eyes and with different prespectives.
I will continue my own personal quest to find my own "Nirvana". I hope I've learned some valuable lessons in attaining my goal from my visit to Taveuni.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Loving reading the daily blog Mal. And the photos are great - brings it all closer to home.
BTW - haircut looks good!!!!!
KIT
Jennifer