Sunday, August 30, 2009

BULA VS. ALOHA SPIRIT


I have lived in Hawaii for over 40 years.

The clelbrated "Aloha spirit" has been used to lure visitors since the first Europeans "discovered"the islands.

I have personally seen that spirit fade towards near extinction. Today the tourist is viewed with near contempt. The average tourist will encounter, at best, an artificial "Aloha spirit" put on by those employed in the tourism industry not to demonstrate true welcome for the visitor but merely as part of their job requirement. Contempt for the visitor is pervasive. The term "Haole",once used to describe an outside visitor or foreigner, has become an insulting term of derision tantamount to the dreaded "N" word!

In Tahiti I have seen the local population barely put up a facade of welcoming the tourist. The Tahitians do not care much for the French who control the government. Most Caucasian visitors are simply tolerated but not genuinely welcomed by most of the Tahitians.

In contrast I have found the people of Fiji, be they native Fijian or descendants of Indians, to seem to be universally and genuinely welcoming to Caucasian visitors.

It is COMMON for complete strangers to welcome me with a smiling greeting of "Bula". Strangers on the public bus will smile, shake my hand and strike up a friendly conversation.

I do not know how or whether it is possible for the people of Hawaii to rekindle the true meaning of the "Aloha spirit", but I have a suggestion where they can look for a good example: Fiji.

Of course, another pretty sunset!

BULA,

Cap'n Mal

No comments: