Wednesday, August 19, 2009

GOIN' ON THE HARD

No, is isn't that!
Tomorrow Torrid gets taken out of the water for some work.
I'm having the bottom cleaned and repainted. I will also have my transmission and cutlass bearing repaired. Not very exciting, but these are chores I thought should be done before I venture out to the Yasawas on my own.
This evening I met with friends and we had a great time sharing stories (maybe some lies) about out past adventures.
I'm learning to become a better listener as it seems I gather more information when I'm listening as when I'm speaking.
Today I went into Lautoka to purchase equipment for the haul out. I had a very nice conversation with a young Fijian man while waiting for the bus. During our discussion I "people-watched" and was struck by the kind of quiet dignity that is present in the Fijian and Indian people of all ages. They do not seem stricken by the angst we in America have of always wanting "more" out of life yet never obtaining satisfaction or contentment.
Perhaps most of the people of Fiji are poor by our economic standards, but I have seen that they are much richer than us when the scale measures happiness and contentment with life.
I am happy to be permitted to observe this contentment.

No comments: