Wednesday, December 23, 2009

CHRISTMAS EVE 2009


In Fiji it is Christmas Eve.

To celebrate, a little, I went snorkeling. I found a nice Spider Conch which was dead and in pretty good shape.
I also noticed literally billions of tiny pieces of calcium which looked a lot like the old "puka shells" people used to make into necklaces in Hawaii. These items were much smaller and far more delicate than the Hawaiian "puka shells." It would be an extremely easy thing to string these calcium items together and make a fine, if delicate, necklace. The shoreline was covered with these items. Whilst snorkeling I noticed " Billions and billions" ( Credit given to the late Carl Sagan) of these little critters lining the shallow, sandy bottom.

Since I do not wear ANY kind of necklace, thank you very much, nor would I have the patience to gather, sort, string and finish any kind of necklace I only picked up 6 for my photos.

The attached photo is of yours truly, Christmas Eve, 2009, Castaway Island, Fiji.

No comments: