Wednesday, December 16, 2009

THE ELUSIVE MOLE COWRIE





After I walked out to the far edge of the reef to take some pictures of the ship wreck off Vuda Point I came across a sea shell that I had been looking for in Hawaii for well over 30 years. It is called a Mole Cowrie. Although it is not classified as "rare", it is certainly uncommon. I finally found one on Kauai around 2001.






Fortunately for me, but not for the sea shell, it was dead when I found it. It could not have been dead for more than 36 hours. The animal literally poured out of the shell as I picked it up. YUCK!!! But since it was dead, I had no reservations about keeping this beauty!






It is a fine specimen with a very small amount of damage incurred while being battered about on the reef during Cyclone Mick.






No comments: