Friday, December 25, 2009

MAMANUTHA-I-THAKE


This morning I sailed from "Castaway" Island, aka Monuiriki Island, over to the nearby island named Mamanutha-i-thake. I wanted to get over here early because I knew that once the tour boat collected the mobs from Monu Island they come over here to take the tourists ashore and buy local handicrafts.

The chief was away on another island so I had a meeting with their second in command. Traditionally, one gives Kava as a present to the chief. I don't drink, so I don't promote Kava. Instead, I gave the assistant chief several fish hooks, 6 cans of tomato sauce and on of the most important "tools" an American always has in his toolbox: a brand new roll of duct tape. They all seemed to enjoy the gifts and invited me ashore this evening for music and dancing. They ALL wanted to make sure that I did not have a wife or a girlfriend. Then they ALL started giggling and talking in very rapid Fijian. As if I would understand Fijian if they spoke slowly!

I had a long chat with a lad named "Zo". He seemed extremely intelligent and wanted my views on American politics, our involvement in Iran and Afghanistan, and what I thought about President Obama.

Later, I went past the shop displays, wanting to get there before the tourists swarmed ashore. I found two nice seashell specimens which I had found alive but replaced while snorkeling. I did not feel bad purchasing these shells. Besides, it helps the Fijian community.

A high wind warning had been posted on the Fiji weather outlook station. It is NOT being caused by a Cyclone; rather, it is being caused by a very strong High Pressure system south of Fiji and North of New Zealand.

While ashore I noticed that the wind had indeed picked up a great deal. Torrid was sitting at anchor in 35' of water with an onshore wind. Why is it ALWAYS on onshore wind? I rushed back out to Torrid to anchor sit.

The tour boat left, the wind came down and I moved Torrid over to the safety of the mooring ball.

I feel much more comfortable.

No comments: