Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A DISTURBING DREAM

I awoke this morning to the recollection of a disturbing dream. The details are not relevant nor even interesting to anyone other than my memories which became the genesis of the dream.

Suffice it to say that the lesson of the dream was this: You cannot change your past. No matter how much we hope and pray to undo the mistakes of our past, once made they cannot be undone.

Choices are funny things. We have many choices we make in our every day lives. Most are insignificant. Do we buy the mayonnaise we always use or do we try a new brand which is on sale at a much lower price. If we try the new brand and don't like it the solution is simple: toss out the new brand and suffer the small financial loss.

Other decisions are much more important. These are the decisions which, once made, exclude all other possibilities. Do we file for divorce, do we accept a marriage proposal, do we have another child? These are the kinds of decisions which will bless or haunt our futures forever. These decisions must be made with the understanding that once made, it excludes all other possibilities.

We cannot thank or blame God, the fates or our stars for our choices whether they turn out to be right or wrong. They are our conscious decisions. How well we reason out these decisions and their possible consequences varies from person to person and from situation to situation.

I'm not sure how accurate my recollection of Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar" is, but I love this quote: "Our fate, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves."

What is your most memorable decision? Were you right or were you wrong? Have you awakened from a vivid dream wherein you thought you could undo that one decision in your life? Did you wake up with a tear in your eye as I did this morning?





















s

2 comments:

Little Miss Thing said...

The best decision I ever made was to follow my heart and leave Canada and move to England to be with my now husband.
Life has had it's ups and downs in the 7 years since the big move, but I never regret my choice.

kanuchic said...

There is something to be said for intuition...